Wanted: welcoming, friendly night shelter venue for Thursday nights!
As the leaves start to change colour outside our office window, we’re already getting ready for the 2018-19 season of our winter night shelters! We’ve run our winter night shelter for over ten years, providing a friendly welcome, hot meals and warm beds for hundreds of refugee and asylum seeking men from all over the world. We’ve got 6 partner churches already signed up as overnight venues and we are now looking for one more church to provide an overnight venue and core volunteers for Thursday nights from October 2018 – April 2019.
Over the years we’ve partnered with churches in Manchester, Salford, Bury, Trafford and Tameside- our preference is for churches within 35 mins drive of Manchester city centre (where we have our evening reception venue) although if you know a location slightly further away, we’d be willing to have a chat about whether it might work!
We are looking for:
- A church with suitable space to sleep up to 12 men plus 2 male overnight volunteers
- Volunteers to pick up the men from Friends Meeting House, Mount Street, M2 5NS at 8.30pm and take them to the church venue (taxi, private cars, minibus, or walking if central location)
- Volunteers to set up the beds (Boaz will supply bedding) consisting of roll mats, sleeping bags/liners, pillows, blankets, towels
- Volunteers to provide / serve / clear away a hot meal
- 2 male volunteers to sleep overnight
- Volunteers to provide and serve breakfast from 7am (the men leave the venue at 8am and can either be transported back into city centre by volunteers or given bus fare)
- Volunteers to wash the sleeping bag liners, pillow cases, towels ready for following week
- A venue coordinator who will be able to organise their team of volunteers – rotas, keeping in touch with Boaz coordinator etc
If you might be interested in exploring this opportunity further, please get in contact with our night shelter coordinator, Vron, who’d love to hear from you! You can contact her on firstname.lastname@example.org or call her on 0161 202 1056.
Thanks so much for reading and please spread the word!